Thursday 26 May 2011

Evaluation OUGD203

Evaluation:


This module was split into two parts, the YCN and the product, range and distribute brief. I found these two two projects really different form each other. The first one we were working on the live brief for particular company/ brand and it was also a collaborative project. The second project was completely self lead and structure. We wrote our own brief in relation to things we were interested in.


Overall for the YCN project I felt that we were able to achieve a really good quantity and quality of work in the amount of time we were given. I enjoyed working collaboratively and I feel that I was quite lucky that my partner ( liz) and I never fell out or had arguments. However, I think that I would probably still work most effectively on my own. I don't think I really enjoyed having the responsibility of someone's grades depending on me. It was a good motivation but at the same time I've always been quite motivated myself anyway and I don't know if I needed that extra pressure. However, I did like the fact that we were both good at different things meaning it was easy to assign responsibilities and that the actual methods of working collaboratively.


As for the Product,Range and Distribution, Io

oking at the work I've produced I really feel like I've moved on quite far from where I started at the beginning of this project ( and the course also). I think that the designs I've produced in this project is the one that shows my style of working the most and I think its probably my favourite piece to put in portfolio. However, saying that, it was not been an easy ride. The beginning of the project was quite slow and writing my own brief was quite hard for such an indecisive person which I am. However, I compared this project to the 100 brief as I think they are probably the most similar and I remember really really struggling with that brief last year as it was our first self initiated one. I think I really learnt from that project how to cope with a self directed project and I think I actually managed quite well in this one. I tried to quickly make decisions on the brief and tried to get on with the research as soon as possible. As said, the first couple of weeks into this project was pretty slow but then I think i quickly picked up the pace in which I was working and managed to produce a good quantity of work. I've gotten so much better at time management this year and my own methods of working effectively thank last year. I think this has been a really good project to end the year with.


the rest of the evaluation I think I would focus on the product, range and distribution brief.




What problem did I identify?


To create a new identity for a monthly talk at the Natural History Museum. This includes a logo and promotional materials that is applicable across a range of media from print to screen. The aim is to entice and gain interests from university students and young professionals.


What evidence did you find to support your decisions?


They weren't so much evidence that I found but as this brief was a self initiated one I basically included all the things I was interested in and wanted to pursuit in Graphic design and created a brief from them. These have been 'gathered' from the previous projects that I have done.


As for the research for this project, I went down to the Natural History museum in London to have a look around at all the already existing designs they gave around the museums, what the exhibitions were like and just to have a look at all the different things it houses really.



What research could I have carried that would have proved more useful?



I could have probably looked more into exhibition designs and environmental designs for around the museum. I know I wanted to focus on the printed media for this project and I did consider other media as well as that but I think I could have done more actual research into it.


5 things that I have learn about design process over the last few weeks


  1. I really want to get back into illustration more. I don't want to go fully into illustration but I feel that my style of drawing would actually work quite well with traditional typography. I can do crazy illustrations or free hand but I can draw.
  2. Its really important to consider where your piece of design would fir into context/ in the real world. Its one thing having a nice piece of design that sits on your desk and to have your piece of design actually being used effectively in the environment.
  3. Its hard to take on such a big thing ( promote the whole of the natural history museums which houses things from a tiny insect to a fake earth quake installation) . it is easier to break down the project which you can as this is a self initiated project.
  4. This is something that I've learnt previously but I think it really came through in this project. That is the fact that designs just look really good when there's a range of them. Instead of having one piece of nice design, you create a range, even if its only a range of posters or a range of media, it makes your design look more relevant.
  5. (from YCN) its very different working on a project with two designers than one. obviously two heads is better than one but you really need to work with someone who's methods of working is similar to you and if you both have an input in the design elements of things you need to make sure that the styles of designs go.



5 things that I would do differently next time

  1. I wouldn't say I would spend any less time on the research but I think I could have gotten into the project a lot quicker. I had quite a slow start with slow decision making. It wasn't major though I think I was pretty on top of time management
  2. don't take on something so big ( change from promoting the whole museum to an event was definitely a project saver, thanks Fred.)
  3. Don't try and do everything. I wanted to do so much for this project,not in terms of products but as in I wanted to do type, layout, print, illustrations, etc. I wanted to do loads of illustrations for this project at first but then remembered how time consuming they were… I still managed to do quite a few though!

No comments:

Post a Comment